Hosting is a service that consists of allocating a website on a server, making it accessible from the Internet to its users.
There is a great variety of hosting plans, depending on the type of service that you want to “accommodate” (static website, dynamic website, document repository, etc…).
A typical service, for a static website, usually includes:
- registration or transfer of a domain name (e.g. generalservice.na.it);
- from one to infinite e-mail addresses, associated with different mailboxes or a single one (e-mail alias);
- spam and virus filtering;
- a certain amount of web space;
- appropriate tools for the management of pages, such as file manager, prototypes, FTP, access counters, etc…;
- a proper amount of monthly bandwidth for the traffic generated by the website.
A typical service, for a dynamic website, may include, in addition to the above:
- support to one or more scripting languages, such as PHP, Python or ASP;
- support to an online database, such as MySQL or PostgreSQL;
- statistics and traffic analysis services, such as Webalizer or AWStats.
The hosting also differs according to the type of space that is made available:
- a dedicated server (i.e. a webserver that hosts a single website);
- a shared server (i.e. hosting a number of sites on the same server).
The hosting also differs depending on the platform, i.e. operating system that is installed on the server: Windows or Linux.
Contact us to learn together the solution that suits you best!